Official Website:

Website Introducing the Settlement:

Cultural  Tourism

  • Cultural and historical monuments

Art Colony:

Monastery Rajinovac:

The archeological site Vinča:

  • Regular cultural programmes:

Ceremonies in Grocka:

Eco tourism, excursions

Day of the Danube in Grocka:   dunava&catid=59%3Amanifestacije&Itemid=66&lang=sr-RS

Gastro tourism

“Golden kettle of Danube”:

Fair of Agricultural Machinery and Equipment Fair and fruit:


Traditional Athletic Race through Grocka:

Other Services

  • pharmacy shop

  • doctor’s office

  • post office


„Mala Oasa“:



Слика:Coat of Arms Belgrade.png

Settlement name



1.119.642 inhabitants


359,96 km2

Administrative status

Capital city

Location of settlement centre

44° 49‘14"N, 20° 27‘ 44"E

Height of settlement centre

117 m


The capital of Serbia – Belgrade is placed at the confluence of the Sava river into the Danube. It is one of the oldest cities in Europe with extremely good geographic and hydrographic position on river and railway routes between the Central Europe and the Middle East. Belgrade is the city which lives on its rivers and has numerous natural and arranged beaches, promenades, quays, places for fishing… Belgrade citizens use river islands very often for their picnics. Among banks, as well as on the water by itself there is a great number of floats and ships arranged into restaurants. That is why Belgrade` s night life takes place on the river.

                Over the right Danube bank dominate s a hill and Belgrade fortress, dated back to the period of the Celts. In general, history of this fortress is the history of this part of Europe. The Celtic name of the city was Singidunum and was noted by the Romans. The Celts were replaced by Hunas, Sarmats, Gepids, Ostrogons and Avars…Today` s name was given by the Slavs after their migration in VII century and it was mentioned for the first time in the letter written by Pope John VIII on 16th April 878. At the time of the Serbian medieval state, Despot Stefan Lazarevic, in XV century proclaimed Belgrade as s throne city. Despot` s tower preserved from that period is today a facility of the a astronomic observatory. After several unsuccessful sieges, the Turks undertook the fortress in 1512. They fortified it and built a part of Kalemegdan fortress walls. During the XVII and XVIII century this place was battle-field of the permanent conflicts between Turkey and Austria. During the period of Austrian rule the walls were fortified and subterranean corridors were excavated. From that time, at the entrance into Down city there is well preserved The Gate of Carlo IV built in the shape of Triumphal arch. Belgrade was liberated in rising under command of Karadjordje Petrovic in 1807, but in 1813 was again undertaken by the Turks who in 1867 handed over the keys of the city to the Serbs. Since then it has been called the capital of the kingdom of Serbia. In the W.W. I the city was heavily bombed by Austro-Hungarian and German artillery. After very strong aggression on 10th October 1915 the Serbs left the city, but returned as liberators on November 1st 1918. Then Belgrade became the capital of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. It was again heavily bombed by the Germans on 6th April 1941 and was occupied until the arrival of the Red army and Yugoslav partisans in October 1944. This city was the capital of SFR Yugoslavia, SR Yugoslavia, State Union f Serbia and Montenegro and now it is the capital of the Republic of Serbia.

                Within Belgrade fortress there is Military museum with collection of weapons from prehistoric time, over the Roman  and mideval times until the guns, armored cars and tanks from the First and the Second World War. . The Symbol of Belgrade is Monument A Victor, made by the sculptor Ivan Mestrovic, sculpture of a naked man who in his right hand holds a sward, and a pigeon in the left one. From Belgrade fortress to the city streets there is Kalemegdan park, established in the second halr of the XIX century as there are several museums, galleries and monuments.

                We shall state only important facilities near by the Kalemegdan that one must obligatorily visit during stay in Belgrade: House of Kneginja Ljubica from 1830 with collection of furniture and paintings, Saborna Church from 1831 built in the style of classicism with baroque elements and Museum of Patriarchy. Walking along Knez Mihailova street from Kalemegdan to Hotel Moscow one can see plenty of significant structures: Foundation of Nikola Spasic in neobaroque style, building of Serbian Academy of Science from 1911, National Museum, National theatre, Knez Mihailo monument from 1882, Terazije fontain and Hotel Moscow from 1906 in secession style. If you turn to the left by Hotel Moscow you will each Nikola Pasic Square from where you can go to the Serbian Parliament and Belgade City Assembly from 1882.

                In the National theatre one can take a look at the original sculptures and other items found in archeological fields in Vinca, Lepenski vir as well as topay attention to the Roman period collection of Viminacium. In Student` Square, near by the National Museum is Captain Misa` s  foundation from 1883, built in a spirit of romantism, today` s Rectorate of Belgrade University.

                Sightseeeing of the city from the river is organized by the Belgrade Tourist organization and while cruising one can see different significant historical facilities, important buildings as well as many environmental units typical for Belgrade.

                Belgrade has plenty of good restaurants, so one should  obligatory spend the evening in Skadarlija. It is a steep, narrow street in the heart of the city with specific Turkish cibbled stones, lanterns, its own well, antique and souvenir shops. There are a lot of old Belgrade restaurants which keep memories of poets, actors and bohems. The famous ones are: Three hats, Ima dana, two deers and Skadarlija.

                Downstream from Belgrade at 1160km, the Danube starts to branch out in thee navigating branches, making two large river islands called Fortkontumac and Stefanac. The official navigation route goes along he left bank and is called Large waters or Turski dunavac. It is also called Tos-pasin dunavac, so as a tradition the story has been retold that is was dug by the Turks due to avoid strong river naval units st the river Tamis confluence. In the upper end of Fortkontumac island there is a weekend-colony Bela Stena which got its name according to the place with the same name on the right bank where residues of the Roman river port fortification are preserved. At a low-water levels the islands gets beautiful sandy beach, attractive for many moto boat owners of Belgrade and Pancevo.