Official Website: -

Website Introducing the Settlement:

Health Tourism

  • spa, wellness services, open air swimming pool

Aqua park “Petroland”:

Cultural  Tourism

  • Sacral monuments

Evangelical Church:

The Orthodox Church:

  • Regular cultural programmes:

Festival of Slovak folk music and "Tancuj, tancuj" Gložan:

Eco tourism, excursions

Revir “Vojvodjanska oaza“:

The "Danube dream" - Ethno village Gložan:

Gastro tourism

Days of vegetables:       


Fishing on the lakes in Gložan:

Cycling and trekking possibilities along the Danube:

Other Services       

  • pharmacy shop

  • doctor’s office

  • post office

  • tourist information bureau /





Settlement name



2283 inhabitants

Area (municipality Bački Petrovac)

158 km2

Administrative status


Location of settlement centre

45° 17‘N, 19° 34‘E

Height of settlement centre

79 m


Gložan (Serbian Cyrillic: Гложан, Slovak: Hložany, Hungarian: Dunagálos) is a village located in the Bački Petrovac municipality, in the South Bačka District of Serbia. It is situated in the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina. The population of the village numbering 2.283 people (2002 census), of whom 1.985 are ethnic Slovaks.

The Municipality of Backi Petrovac lies on the banks of the Danube River on 1284 km, in the settlement Gložan. On the territory of the municipality has been performed researches and it was confirmed the presence of thermal waters. Flatland of Vojvodina conditions a low flora, while the band can come across the Danube and the woods. Glozan directly borders with the special park Begečka jama, which is a natural oasis of rare plant species and a place inhabited by protected species of birds.

The Municipality of Backi Petrovac is a multiethnic and multicultural environment; the majority of the population is Slovak nationality (66.42%), Serbian nationality (25.74%) and others (7.84%).

In the year 1791st was lost all trace of the fort Onagrinum from 284th which was built by the Diocletian, Roman emperor (284 -305) on the site of today's Gložan. On the territory of Gložan ahead a time of Tatar invasion (1241st) there were two settlements Drag (Dragovo) and Telek. In Turkey's notebook from the 1556th, is mentioned Galožan village with 16 houses, and a few years later, in the 1561st there was already 28 houses. After signing the Karlovacki Peace in 1699th was mentioned as a wasteland. In the 1720th population census was taken in Backa region, and in the settlement the majority of the population were Serbs, and about 95% Bunjevci. In that period similar situation was in the Banat region. Since the 1749th village has a post office and station. In the seventeenth century is inhabited by Serbs, who in the 1733rd have 95 houses and two priests. Slovaks began a sporadic settlement from the 1740th, but as the official date they took 1756th, when Slovaks are coming in greater numbers in the Gložan Futog property. Most immigrants came from Novohrad, Hont, Piešćan and Békés. Settlers signed a contract with the co-owners of Futog holding to Carnojevici in 3rd May 1759.


Evangelical Church in Gložan

In 1780th the residents of Gložan have already requested a permission to organize the church choir, but this request was rejected. However, Joseph II has issued the Patent of Tolerance 1781st, by which every settlement with more than 100 families receive opportunities "to support the priest and can build a church." The first priest Petar Jesenski comes in Gložan on 24th May 1786, along with Štefan Šomod and Pavle Slobod. With the arrival of these people starts cultural learnings of settlements Gložan. The inhabitants in 1791st were starting to gather the materials to begin construction. Foundation stone for the church is collected at a nearby location, a Roman "Castrum Onagrinum" which of these time unaccounted for. The temple was consecrated in 1797th by the priest of Backi Petrovac Ondrej Stehlo. The new altar was built by Jakub Šmaus during the 1812th and 1813th year. Great reconstructions were performed in 1924th and the end of the twentieth century.


Orthodox Church in Gložan

Orthodox Church in Gložan was mentioned in the documents back in the eighteenth century. The present church building was built in 1839. The interior is modestly decorated, icon painting do not have a greater artistic value. More value icon is a gift from Petar Vasilić from Cib in Celarevo, which dates from the 1856th. The temple is dedicated to John the Baptist. Church books were conducted from the 1868th to 1889th. In statistics, the visible trend shows the decline in the number of Serbian population, which usually moves in the Cib and Begeš. At the end of the nineteenth century was mentioned Gložan Church School. Serbian Orthodox Church was extremely active to the end of The Second World War, but after that period most Serbs moved out to surrounding villages.