Official Website: http://www.komarom.hu/

Website Introducing the Settlement:http://www.vendegvaro.hu/Komarom




Health Tourism

  • spa, pleasure bath, wellness services, open air swimming pool

Komárom thermal bath (http://www.komthermal.hu/)

Cultural and Conferance Tourism

  • heritage site (national importance), built heritage (local importance)





  • permanent exhibition (national importance)

Hadtörténeti Intézet és Múzeum (Military History Institute and Museum) (http://www.fort-monostor.hu/),

Klapka György Museum (http://museum.hu/museum/index_hu.php?ID=477),

Tengerészettörténeti Gyűjtemény (maritime history collection): (http://museum.hu/museum/index_hu.php?ID=478),

Római Kori Kőtár (Roman stonework): (http://museum.hu/museum/index_hu.php?ID=479)

  • permanent exhibition (local importance)

Czibor Zoltán memorial room: (http://www.museum.hu/museum/index_hu.php?ID=980)

  • theatre

Magyar Lovas Theatre (http://www.lovasszinhaz-komarom.hu/index2.html)


  • certified riding school, horse farm

                Lovarda S.E. (http://www.utikonyv.hu/_utikonyv/objektumok/4763/371/index-1.html)

Water Tourism

  • boat excursion


Other Services

  • police


  • pharmacy shop


  • doctor’s office


  • post office



  • e-point, internet café


  • tourist information bureau


  • restaurant, café, pastry shop





 Komárom város címere

Settlement name



19 799 inhabitants


7 019 ha

Administrative status


Location of settlement centre

47.74300 18.11923

Height of settlement centre

110- 120 m


Komárom is situated at the eastern edge of Kisalföld, on the northern borders of Hungary, at a distance of 90 km from Budapest and 45 km from Győr. Long distance road No. 1 passes across the town, but Komárom is also accessible from Highway No. 1, if you turn off to long-distance road No. 13. The town is connected by road (through Erzsébet Bridge) and also by a railway bridge to Révkomárom on the Slovakian side of the Danube. In the summer, there are hydrofoil lines between Komárom and the capital. Thanks to the favourable crossing opportunity on the Danube and being a junction point of important terrestrial routes, the town had big strategic importance in the past. The biggest system of fortresses in preserved state in Central Europe is in this town. In our days it accommodates exhibitions and events and no more serves military purposes.

The town is composed of three former settlements, namely, Komárom, Koppánymonostor and Szőny. The name of Koppánymonostor came from the Benediction monastery founded in the 12th century. Szőny, or by its Roman name: Brigetio, is rich in archeological findings. Another important sight of Szőny is the Gyürky-kastély  (Gyűrky Palace) built in neo-baroque style in the beginning of the 20th century, and works as a hospital now. Its park has several botanical rarities. From 1896 until the Trianon Treaty and then, from 1939 to 1945, Révkomárom, or by its other name: Észak- Komárom on the opposite side of the Danube belonged to it. Now it belongs to Slovakia. 

Komárom has three fortresses the biggest of which is Monostori Fortress built from 1850 to 1871. The internal yard of the classicistic building has been nominated for inclusion to the UNESCO List of World Heritage. It is surrounded by walls, defensive works,  bastions and various buildings, and under it there is a corridor and casemate system. The fortress houses a Museum of War History, with a permanent exhibition called” Várak, korok, katonák” (Castles, Ages, Soldiers). There is also another permanent exhibition in the Kenyérmúzeum (Bread Museum) set up in the former military bakery. The Országos Pékfesztivál (National Bakers’ Festival) and the Amerikai Autós Találkozó (Fest of American Cars) take place here every year, but also several other celebrations and cultural events are organized among the old walls. it is worth to see the other two fortresses forming part of the system of fortresses: Igmánd Fortress in the southern quarters of the town and Csillagerőd (Star Fortress), surrounded by moats, as well. Csillagerőd is the oldest member of the system. In the casemates of the Igmánd Fortress you can also see the collection of Roman stonework of Klapka György Museum with findings from the territory of Szőny.

Jókai Square is the main square of the town with the statue of the famous Hungarian writer Jókai Mór in front of the reformed charge rebuilt in neo-Norman style. There are several exhibition halls in the vicinity: in Kelemen László Street Klapka György Museum awaits the visitors with permanent and temporary exhibitions, while in the Komáromi  Kisgaléria (Komárom Small Gallery) you can see exhibitions of fine arts. The Magyar Tengerészettörténeti Gyűjtemény ( Hungarian Marine History Collection) presenting the history of commercial and military navigation from the 13th century to our days can be visited in the City Hall. The memorial room in the building of the Municipal Sports Grounds keeps the memory of Czibor Zoltán,  son of Komárom, green. Those who want to rest can visit the spa and the beach open throughout the year and having three indoors and 5 outdoors pools. You can find accommodation in the hotels nearby the spa. Komárom has a leisure park offering a large variety of programs, basins for children, swimming pool and giant water chute. The mine lake nearby the town is an excellent angling place.

Sources: http://www.komarom.hu/, http://hu.wikipedia.org/, http://www.vendegvaro.hu/, http://www.museum.hu/, http://www.fort-monostor.hu/